This energy boosting turmeric banana smoothie is a must try! Taste hints of cinnamon and ginger in this anti-inflammatory snack. It's 5 minutes or less to make and packed with nutrient-dense whole ingredients.
Why you are gonna love this recipe:
- There's a high chance most of the ingredients are in your house right now.
- It's energizing and refreshing, I love to have this smoothie after a run or as pick-me-up in the afternoon.
- It's anti-inflammatory. Turmeric is awesome to have in your diet regularly as it has many benefits, supports sorness and good recovery. It also helps digestion and memory!
- This recipe is friendly for most diets, it's dairy free, gluten free, grain free, vegan, sugar free.
- It tastes AMAZING. I have been making this daily for the last couple of weeks and I just crave it! It's creamy and sweet, if I'm not in the mood for a hot chai but something cold this is my go to! If you love golden lattes you will love this!
Ingredients and Substitutions
You need 6-10 simple ingredients to make this smoothie.
- Golden spice mix: Powdered turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and pepper (just a little bit of pepper will help your body to absorb the turmeric!). The recipe is down below in the recipe card to make my golden spice mix. These are warming spices that support anti inflammatory, memory, and digestion.
- 2 fresh bananas make this smoothie super creamy! Alternatively, you could use 2 frozen bananas and skip the ice cubes.
- Milk, any type, your favorite type, or whatever you have in the fridge today! I use organic unsweetened almond milk.
- Hemp hearts are in here as a protein boost! An amazing source of plant-based protein, it doesn't have a strong taste so this is easy to hide from picky eaters. If you don't have any on hand that's alright you can make this smoothie without them too, or replace it with any protein powder.
- Medjool dates, gives that sweet deep flavor! Alternatively, you can use 1-2 teaspoon of maple syrup.
- Ice, makes the smoothie thick and cold!
See recipe card for quantities.
Let's make this smoothie step by step!
First, put all the soft non frozen ingredients into the blender.
Place the ice cube on top, as this is best practice when making smoothies (it will make blending easier for your blender and create a great texture).
Blend for 30 seconds or until completely creamy and the ice cubes as well as the dates are fully blended.
Pour into 1 large glass or 2 medium glasses. Enjoy!
All you need for this recipe is a blender. Blenders have a big impact on how a smoothie recipe turns out as it impacts the texture. If you don't have a blender you could use a food processor to make this recipe.
Yes! This recipe makes 1 large smoothie or 2 medium smoothies. If you want more than that you can double all the ingredients.
Yes! There are two ways to prep or batch your smoothie ahead of time. Both ways will last in the freezer for three months.
Freeze the ingredients needed, minus the liquid, for the smoothie together in a bag. Write on the bag what liquid to use and how much to add, so you remeber when you go to make that smoothie. Note that you may need to add a little more liquid to the smoothie when preparing it this way.
Alternativity, make your smoothie, pour it into a jar with a sealing lid, leave at least 1.5 inches at the top (as they can expand in the freezer), and place in the freezer until ready to enjoy it.
If you have leftover smoothie here are two different ways you can use it!
#1 Freeze it into an ice cube tray and add one or two cubes to future smoothies.
#2 Make it into popsicles! I just pour leftover smoothie into a popsicle mold and pop it in the freezer. This is the popsicle mold I like to use.
Did you make this turmeric banana smoothie? Take a pic and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #besidethemountain & tag @besidethemountain. I’d loveeeee to see it!! Oh and please leave a star rating!
Turmeric Banana Smoothie
- 1 blender
- 2 bananas
- 3 pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup almond milk (any milk works!)
- 1 teaspoon golden spice mix* OR ½ teaspoon turmeric, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ginger, 1 pinch of ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 6 medium ice cubes
- Place the peeled bananas, pitted medjool dates, almond milk, golden spice mix, and hemp hearts in the blender.
- Put the ice cubes on top of everything else. Blend for 30 seconds or longer until everything is smooth and there are no chunks of dates or ice. Pour into 1 large glass or 2 medium glasses.
Just made this super delicious smoothie. My husband said "it's the best smoothie all year!" Top votes!!!
Yay so glad to hear! It's defs a great way to introduce turmeric into your food through this creamy smoothie! Thanks for sharing.