Let's make the best blueberry chocolate smoothie! When the chocolate cravings hit run to the kitchen for this healthy berry chocolatey smoothie, what a delicious combo.
Why you'll love this smoothie:
- Make it in 5 minutes.
- Use frozen blueberries which are easy to get all year round!
- The flavor of chocolate and blueberries taste incredible together.
- Wholesome with simple ingredients (totally vegan), and choose to add more nutrient-dense ones too!
Here are the 6 simple ingredients that you will need to make this chocolate blueberry smoothie.
- Frozen Blueberries: You can use frozen regular big blueberries or frozen small wild blueberries for this smoothie.
- Banana: Using bananas makes this smoothie creamy and sweet!
- Chocolate Chips: Adding chocolate chips sweetens and brings chocolatey notes to the smoothie.
- Cocoa Powder: For a deep chocolate flavor the cocoa powder is important.
- Hemp hearts: Adding hemp hearts increases the protein and healthy fats keeping you full longer.
- Milk: You can use whatever milk you like to use (cow milk, soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk, cashew milk). I like to use unsweetened almond milk.
See recipe card for detailed quantities.
DANIKA'S QUICK NUTRITION TIP
In my recipe posts, I like to share simple insights from my schooling in Holistic Nutrition.
Blueberries: Key nutrients in blueberries include being high in fiber, vitamin C, folate, and iron. Blueberries are at the top of the list as antioxidant-rich food (combating free radicals in your body). They are high in manganese supporting bone health and blood sugar regulation.
For another delicious blueberry snack, try these blueberry muffins.
Follow these step-by-step photos from my kitchen to make your own healthy blueberry smoothie blend!
Place the banana, hemp hearts, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and milk in the bottom of the blender.
Next place the frozen blueberries on top of the soft foods.
Start the blender on low and then increase to high speed for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Turn the dial back to low before stopping the blender. If you want it thinner or it is not blending well add more milk ¼ cup at a time.
This makes one large smoothie or two medium smoothies. Pour it into glasses and enjoy right away.
Recommended for smoothies
For a thick smoothie, a good blender is key! I use my Vitamix blender daily and think it is the number one purchase for making healthy food in the kitchen!
Top tips on making a creamy blueberry smoothie
Texture: If you find the blueberries ever curdle to a weird texture, keep blending, it will become creamy with time.
Use a ripe banana: Using a green banana will make this smoothie more starchy, a banana without green spots is perfect to use making any smoothie creamy.
Optional add in's
I like to add some nutritional boosters, to all my smoothies. Here are some ideas to add to this healthy chocolate smoothie.
- Seeds: Add 2 teaspoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon flax seeds to increase healthy fats and give the body extra energy.
- Make it a green smoothie: Throw a handful of spinach or kale in to increase the nutrient density of this smoothie! Or add 1 teaspoon of spirulina.
- More protein: Chocolate protein powder goes well with this smoothie, add 1 scoop. Adding nut butter (peanut butter or almond butter) or whole nuts is another great way to make a smoothie high in protein.
- Sweeten: To make this smoothie sweeter add 2 medjool dates or a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup.
Can I meal prep this smoothie?
Yes! There are two ways to prep this smoothie ahead or meal prep your frozen blueberry smoothie. Both ways will last in the freezer for three months.
Method #1: Freeze the blueberries, bananas, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and hemp hearts (everything except the milk) for the smoothie together in a bag. Write on the bag 'add 2 cups milk', so you remember when you go to make that smoothie, then place it in the freezer. Note that need to add a little more liquid to the smoothie when preparing it this way.
Method #2: Alternativity make your smoothie, pour it into a jar with a sealing lid, leave at least 1.5 inches at the top (as they can expand in the freezer), and place in the freezer until ready to enjoy it. Let it sit for 1-2 hours before enjoying.
Other easy smoothie recipes to try
Did you make this blueberry chocolate smoothie? Would you take 5 seconds to give a star rating and review just below the recipe? I read every single comment and it helps others find the recipe!
Blueberry Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 blender
- 2 bananas
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¾ cup - 1 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- Place the banana, hemp hearts, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, ¾ cup milk, in the bottom of the blender. Add the frozen blueberries on top.
- Secure the lid. Start the blender on low speed and increase to high speed. Blend until the blueberries are completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add more milk to make it thinner as needed.
- Pour into 2 medium glasses and enjoy!