This blackberry smoothie without banana is easy to make. Even with no banana, it's super sweet and refreshing. This berry smoothie is a healthy way to start your day or enjoy as an energy-boosting snack.
Reasons to Love This Smoothie:
- Quick & Easy: Only 5 ingredients, taking no longer than 5 minutes to make, you are gonna love this berry blast. Blackberries pleassse! (No yogurt in this recipe)
- Simple Ingredients: Whole foods that are easy to find locally.
- Good for you: Nutrient-boosting berries (blackberry and strawberries), a good serving of zucchini increases vitamin C and fiber in your diet. No processed sugar or fruit juice.
Smoothies without banana
If you are not a fan of bananas in smoothies, or you don't have bananas in your house, or maybe you are allergic to bananas - this smoothie is for you! I used to not like bananas in my smoothies because it seemed like the flavor overpowered the whole smoothie! However, over the years my experience with smoothies has taught me that it depends on how ripe the banana is! If you don't like the taste of banana in smoothies, try a less ripe banana, ones without brown spots, and parts of the banana still being green. Anyhow let's get back to making this berry smoothie WITHOUT banana.
What can you use instead of banana in smoothies?
There are many foods you can add to a smoothie to create a good creamy texture instead of bananas, here are the ones I have tried:
- fresh zucchini
- fresh avocado
- frozen cooked cauliflower
- frozen okra
- cooked sweet potato
- cooked quinoa (here's a recipe for a smoothie with quinoa!)
- greek yogurt
- thick coconut cream (the top white part in a can of coconut milk)
Some of the foods listed above will not be as sweet as a banana, this can be good for those looking for something low sugar. If you want a sweeter smoothie add a tablespoon of honey. For today's smoothie we will add zucchini and honey to our smoothie.
Below I will share what ingredients you will need to make this blackberry smoothie! For exact quantities look at the recipe card below.
- Blackberries: you can use fresh or frozen berries for this blended snack. Frozen berries will make it colder and thicker.
- Strawberries: this compliments the blackberries well. But feel free to use other berries instead. Like frozen blackberries, frozen strawberries will make this smoothie thicker and colder but you can also use fresh strawberries!
- Fresh Zucchini: yes I know it's kinda different but it creates a creamy smoothie that is comparable to a banana!
- Milk: any kind, plant based, almond, cow, or whatever your favorite is!
- Honey: this will sweeten the smoothie and bring all the flavors together.
Optional nutritional add ins:
- Hemp Hearts, Chia Seeds, or Protein Powder: This increases the protein in the smoothie, it supports the body's blood sugar level, and will keep you full longer.
- Spirulina or Moringa Powder: these green powders have different very beneficial nutritional properties that will support your body's systems! The color will be masked with dark purple blackberries.
The key nutrients of blackberries are fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.
Use frozen or fresh blackberries for this smoothie. If using fresh berries, when picking (either from the store or from the bush) choose ones that are dark black and purple rather than red. Fresh blackberries only last a couple of days, so each them right away, make them into muffins, or freeze them!
Ingredients for a Healthy Smoothie
- Use fruit: All fruit is healthy and has incredible vitamins and minerals so be sure to swap it up and cover your diet to get a good balance of the nutrients. If you want a smoothie lower in sugar use berries.
- Add protein and fat sources: things like nuts, nut butter, or seeds(hemp heart, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds), this will keep you full longer and support brain health.
- Use milk or water instead of juice: this will stop the blood sugar rush that juice creates because it lacks fruit fiber (which is exactly why smoothies are so good for you - fiber!)
- Add kale or spinach: these greens don't taste strong and have nutrient-dense properties. If you want to start adding greens to your smoothie try my recipe for simple spinach smoothie or try my strawberry smoothie that has kale in it!
This blackberry smoothie without bananas is healthy. It includes whole fruit, there is no fruit juice or processed sugar, it contains a good serving of vegetables (zucchini) and you can add seeds and other supplements for an additional nutritional boost.
How to make
1. First add the soft ingredients to the bottom of the blender, this is the zucchini, milk, and honey. Having these foods on the bottom supports the blending of the frozen fruit and is good practice for taking care of the blades.
2. Then place the frozen fruit on top, this is the strawberries and the blackberries. Start the blender slowly and then turn to high speed. Use a blender tamper or scrape down the sides as needed. If you want the smoothie thinner add more milk!
Hint: Clean the blender right away so everything washes away easily and before the fruit dries onto the blender blade.
I give all my smoothies ratings 1 to 3 for thickness, sweetness, and if they are kid-friendly. Thickness, 1 means thin, and 3 means very thick. Sweetness, 1 means not very sweet, and 3 means sweet. Kid-friendly, 1 means not very liked by my toddler, and 3 means very liked by my toddler, (this rating often depends on the flavor and texture, and color). Blackberry smoothie without banana:
Thickness: 2 (Want a really thick smoothie? Try this easy banana strawberry smoothie!)
A banana usually is about ½ cup of fruit. You can use raw zucchini, yogurt, or cooked sweet potatoes in replacement of a banana for a smoothie.
To make a smoothie thicker add less milk or juice, increase the frozen fruit or add ice cubes.
Unhealthy smoothies often have sugar, ice cream, sorbet, or a lot of juice in them. I recommend using real fruit, milk or water, and adding a little honey if you desire more sweetness.
I have a high power vitamix blender. I use it every single day and defs recommend investing in one it's especially helpful to make all kinds of healthy food.
Blackberries are ripe when they are dark black with some dark red parts. Enjoy them right away or wash and freeze the berries!
Loving smoothies lately? Try these:
Like this recipe for blackberry smoothie without banana? Give this smoothie a rating and share what you think down below the recipe! I love hearing from you.
Blackberry Smoothie without Banana
- 1 blender
- 1 cup raw zucchini chopped
- 1.5 - 2 cups milk any kind (I like unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
Optional for nutritional boost:
- 2 tablespoon hemp hearts or chia or protein powder (adds protein!)
- 1-2 teaspoon spirulina or moringa powder (increases nutrient density!)
- Place the chopped zucchini, 1.5 cups milk, and honey in the bottom of the blender. Add the frozen blackberries and strawberries on top. Add optional ingredients if using.
- Start the blender on low and slowly increase to high speed. Add more milk if needed or if you desires the smoothie thinner.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy this blackberry strawberry blend!